Video Presentations Campus Slide Shows Challenge Game Interactive Map

Frequently Asked Questions

You may search for any word or phrase on this page by pressing CTRL-F on your keyboard.

Answers to many other financial aid questions can be found at

2012-13 Guide to Federal Student Aid (PDF)

2012-13 Steps to Student Aid (PDF)

Disbursement – How and when is aid paid to me?

Student financial aid, such as Pell Grant, SEOG, scholarships, or loans, is initially awarded to you as "authorized" financial aid. If the amount of your authorized aid is sufficient, you may enroll, and sometimes purchase books, without having to pay "out-of-pocket."  After the drop/add period has passed, attendance has been verified, book vouchers have expired, and other accounting processes have been completed, financial aid is paid into your student account like "real money" on "Disbursement Day."  This is usually about four weeks after the term begins, and is NOT the day on which you will receive a refund of excess aid.  The disbursement date and other important dates and deadlines are shown in the Financial Aid Overview on our website.  If you have a credit balance, the Business Office will issue a refund within ten business days after disbursement.

There is an EXCEPTION for student loans:  Students who request a loan for one term, are on financial aid probation, or have had a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal approved will receive loan funds into their student accounts in two disbursements. The first will be made on the normal disbursement date. The second payment into your account will be made after 60% of the term has been completed. If you have a credit balance, the Business Office will issue a refund within ten business days after disbursement.

What is a book voucher?

If your authorized Federal Student Aid exceeds your total charges, we may make some of that excess available for you to purchase books at our online bookstore for a limited time. An email will be sent to your student email address letting you know that a voucher is available and how to use it. However, you will have to pay “out-of-pocket” for other supplies, uniforms, safety equipment, entrance exams, etc. that may be required for your courses.

What is FKCC’s federal school code?

FKCC's Federal School Code is 001485. 

What is the FAFSA?

The FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
You need to fill out the FAFSA to be eligible for grants, work-study jobs, student loans and scholarships.
You can apply online at
To complete your application, you will need a PIN number to electronically sign your FAFSA. This is to ensure your privacy and security. You can obtain your pin at

When should I apply for financial aid? 

The FAFSA is available every year on January 1st. It is normally best to complete it after you (and your spouse or parents, if applicable) have filed tax returns for the previous calendar year.  You should apply early even if you are not planning to start school until the summer or fall. That way you can figure out how you are going to pay for school before you begin. About three weeks after filing tax returns automatically, you should be able to use the Data Retrieval Tool in the FAFSA; this will import your income information from IRS directly, and we strongly recommend that you use it to limit the chances of an error on your part.

I do not think I will qualify for financial aid. Should I still apply?

Yes. Many scholarships and state grants require completion of the FAFSA at  This helps awarding organizations compare your unmet need to that of other students.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

Yes, you must apply for Financial Aid each year. You can apply online at

Do I have to wait for admission before applying for financial aid?

No, but you do have to be admitted as an FKCC student and be enrolled in classes to have aid authorized.

If I am a Non-U.S. Citizen, can I still receive financial aid?

Yes, if you are determined to be an eligible non-citizen. The following types of non-citizens are eligible for federal financial aid:
US Permanent Residents with a Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or Conditional Permanent Resident (I-551C) or those with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) showing the destinations of Refugee, Asylum Granted, Parolee or Cuban- Haitian Entrant or those with an Immigration Court document approving Asylum or documentation or entering the U.S. under provisions of the Victims or Trafficking and Violence Protection Act are eligible for federal financial aid.

Are international students eligible to receive state or federal financial aid?

No. There are, however a number of privately funded scholarship programs for International students. Go to to explore your options.

What information do I need when I fill out a FAFSA?

Am I an Independent or Dependent student?

Who is my 'parent' when I fill out the FAFSA?

Where can I find out more information about Bright Futures? 

What does 'EFC' stand for?

EFC stands for Expected Family Contribution. This is the amount that Federal Student Aid estimates that you and your family can contribute annually to your postsecondary education, based on the information you entered in your FAFSA.  It is used to determine your eligibility for Federal Student Aid. It is NOT the amount for which FKCC will bill you and it is NOT the amount of aid you will receive.

What is a Pell Grant? How can I get one?

Pell Grants are federally-funded, need-based, cash grants given to college students to help pay for college. Pell Grants can be awarded up to $5,730 for the 2014-15 school year (up to 2,865.00 per semester). Pell Grants do not have to be paid back. Fill out the FAFSA to be considered for a Pell Grant.  Any Pell Grant-eligible student whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept.11, 2001 will receive the maximum award amount. The student must be under 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time in college at the time of their parent's or guardian's death.

The email I got from Federal Student Aid said that I was approved for Pell Grant money, but now FKCC says that I’m not…why?

Please be sure to read that email carefully. It probably says something like, “Based on the information we have on record for you, your EFC is _____. You MAY [emphasis added] be eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant and other federal student aid. Your school will use your EFC to determine your financial aid eligibility for federal grants, loans, and work-study, and possible funding from your state and school.” Federal Student Aid only considers part of your eligibility – the numerical part, based on income, family size, etc. FKCC has to check other aspects of eligibility, such as whether you’re in an eligible degree program, if you have a standard high school diploma or GED, if your previous post-secondary work is satisfactory, whether you have excess credits, whether you have loans in default, etc.

My FAFSA was selected for “verification” - now what?

First, don’t panic!  This simply means that Federal Student Aid has instructed FKCC to obtain additional documents or information from you, and perhaps your parents or spouse, as applicable. FKCC will send you a letter letting you know what is needed and where to find it on our website. Please do not ignore this letter! After you submit these documents or information, we will contrast the information in those documents to the information in your FAFSA and make corrections as needed. We cannot determine the amount of aid for which you are eligible, if any, until this process is complete. Your FAFSA is not considered complete and correct until you have submitted all documents and information and all issues have been resolved. We allow ten business days for verification after you submit complete and correct documents. When verification is complete, you should receive an award offer in your FKCC email account. 

My email from Federal Student Aid said I would get 5,500.00 or more in loans; why hasn’t FKCC given them to me?

FKCC does not automatically offer or “package” student loans; please remember that the email says that you MAY be eligible. Students should avoid loans if at all possible, and exhaust all other funding opportunities first. At FKCC, you must request student loans. On our website, go to current students/financial aid/federal direct loans for more information and the student and parent loan request forms and procedures. 

I hear that there are trillions of dollars available in scholarships…how do I find them?

Be very careful of any advertisement about financial aid, and avoid any website, company, or organization that charges for advice or referral to sources of aid! Some of the “trillions of dollars” they may mention probably include Federal Student Aid, for which you should have already applied using the FAFSA. The first place to look for scholarships is the FKCC website; go to current students/scholarships/apply here. Your username and password are the same ones use to sign in to myFKCC. You should check our website for scholarships every couple weeks; offerings can change frequently. Be sure that you meet the qualifications for all scholarships for which you apply, and follow directions carefully. Check your FKCC email for updates regarding your scholarship applications. If you are a high school student, be sure to talk with your counselors about opportunities. Many local organizations offer scholarships to high school students that may not appear on our website. Some programs, such as Take Stock in Children, are available in Middle School, so start early. For both high school and college students, if you, your parents, or your spouse are a member of an organization or club, such as Rotary, Lions, etc., there may be funding available. Also, some Native American tribes offer funding to their members. Other sources may include religious organizations, vocational rehab agencies, ethnic organizations, and the like. Employers sometimes offer tuition assistance or reimbursement, as well.  There is more information on the Federal Student Aid website:

Do I have to be enrolled full-time to receive financial aid?

It depends on the type of aid you are receiving. Student loans require at least “halftime” enrollment; this is 6 credit hours for college level courses and 7.5 hours for the Law Enforcement Academy. Pell Grant funds are pro-rated at 25, 50, 75 or 100 percent of your per term maximum, based on your enrollment. At some levels of Pell eligibility, however, you must be enrolled at a certain level to receive any funds; check your award offer email for details. Many scholarships require fulltime attendance (12 hours or more), but some are pro-rated similarly to Pell Grants. Some awards, such as Bright Futures, may not require fulltime attendance in any term, but require you to complete a minimum number of credit hours in an academic year. It is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with the terms of all your awards – thousands of dollars could be at stake. Remember also, that almost all forms of aid require some form of satisfactory academic progress, although it may vary from one to another. 

I was awarded Pell Grant and I’ve enrolled in classes, but I still have a balance due…why?

Remember that you can over-spend almost any amount of financial aid – things like non-resident tuition, housing fees, enrollment above full-time, and courses with higher lab fees can result in total charges that exceed the amount of your authorized aid. Also, students are awarded Pell Grant and other forms of financial aid in varying amounts; your Pell could be anywhere from 0 to 2,865.00 for a semester. As soon as you enroll, be sure that you are aware of your total charges and your total aid.

What is "Satisfactory Academic Progress?"

To be eligible to receive Federal Student Aid funds, the Dept. of Education requires FKCC to have a Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy and to periodically monitor students’ academic progress. At FKCC, a student must maintain a per-term and cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and a per-term and cumulative course completion rate of at least 67%. Your course completion rate is calculated by dividing the number of credit hours you successfully completed by the number of credit hours you attempted. Courses dropped with the drop/add period do not count. FKCC checks academic progress at the end of each term, and your status for the next term may change as a result. Financial Aid probation and suspension may be different from academic probation and suspension. You can find more detailed information in the Student Handbook. Here are some examples:

·        If you withdraw from, or fail, all of your courses in a single term (even if just one course), you will become ineligible for aid in the next term (suspension). You would have a 0.00 GPA and a 0% course completion rate.

·        If your GPA (per term or cumulative) is greater than 0.00 but less than 2.0 or your course completion rate (per term or cumulative) is greater than 0% but less than 67% for one term, your status for the next term will be “probation.” You will still be eligible for aid, with some restrictions, especially on loans.

·        If your GPA (per term or cumulative) is greater than 0.00 but less than 2.0 or your course completion rate (per term or cumulative) is greater than 0% but less than 67% for two consecutive terms, your status for the next term will be “suspension.” You will not be eligible for aid in any future term, unless you submit an appeal and it is approved. An approved grade change or administrative withdrawal/refund may reinstate your eligibility, however (see your instructor or an Academic Advisor about these).

If you have attended one or more other postsecondary schools, your GPA and course completion rate are generally treated the same as if you had attended FKCC.

If your aid is suspended and you have not had a grade change or administrative refund/withdrawal approved that made you eligible again, the only way to reinstate your eligibility is to submit an appeal and for it to be approved, even if you have attended at your own expense and now meet satisfactory academic progress requirements.

The Financial Aid Suspension Appeal form is available in the Financial Aid Forms section (see the left side of this screen).

What is Maximum Timeframe?

Federal Student Aid requires you to achieve your chosen degree by the time you have attempted 150% of the credit hours required for that degree.  For example, if you are in an A.A. program that requires sixty credit hours, you will become ineligible for aid when you have attempted ninety credit hours and not achieved that degree.  More information can be found in the Student Handbook, and the Maximum Timeframe Appeal is available in the Financial Aid Forms section (see the left side of this screen).

What if I am a student at FKCC but I want to take a course or courses at another institution?

Students can only receive financial aid through one institution at a time. If you want to take courses elsewhere temporarily you must complete the Transient Student Association Application at Florida Virtual Campus and a Consortium Agreement. It is the students responsibility to transfer funds received to pay funds due elsewhere. FKCC does not pay fees at other institutions directly.

What do I need to do to allow a third party (parent, spouse, etc) to discuss details of my student account with FKCC?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) generally does not allow details of a postsecondary student's records to be disclosed to a third party without written permission from the student, regardless of the student's age.  You must submit a completed FERPA Consent Form to Enrollment Services to allow us to discuss your records with anyone else.